How to Build Your Dream
In the age of democratized industry, every garage is a potential micro-factory, every citizen a potential micro-entrepreneur. Here’s how to transform a great idea into a great product.
1) Invent: Stop whining about the dearth of cool products in the world – dream up your own. Pro tip: Check the US Patent and Trademark Office Web site to ensure no one else had the idea first.
2) Design: Use free tools like Blender of Google’s SketchUp to create a 3-D digital model of your invention. Or download someone else’s design and incorporate your groundbreaking tweaks.
3) Prototype: You don’t need to be Geppetto to crank out a prototype; desktop 3-D printers like MakerBot are available for under $ 1,000. Just upload a file and watch the machine render your vision in layered ABS
4) Manufacture: The garage is fine for limited production, but if you want to go big, go global – outsource. Factories in China are standing by; sites like alibaba.com can help you find the right partners.
5) Sell: Marketing your products directly to customers via an online store like SparkFun – or set up your own ecommerce outfit through a company. Then haul your golden goose to Maker Faire and become the poster child for the DIY industrial revolution.
**This is the abbreviated version of an article I read in Wired Magazine. I found it so relevant to our society and the direction I see the business world heading that I want to share it with as many like minded people as I can.**