Have you ever committed to an event and had every intention of going from day one, and having a great time and then about an hour or two before, you don’t ‘feel well,’ or ‘have a headache’and begin to ‘talk yourself out of going?’
It happens to me more than I care to admit. The conversation is “I don’t feel well and they won’t miss me anyway.” It’s called second-guessing yourself.
I asked myself this question “why did I agree to go to begin with?”recently when this exact thing happened to me. I committed weeks in advance without a second thought to an event I knew I would love.
I wanted to see everyone, have a bite to eat, a glass of wine, and have some fun!
It happened one Thursday evening not long ago. My stomach really did start hurting about 2 hours prior to the event. I searched my memory banks for ‘negative’ thoughts as what we ‘think’ always shows up, one way or another, in physical form. [I caused the illness to get out of going!]
I even sent an email to the host saying I ‘may not’ be in attendance.
Then I said, “No. Not this time. I’m going!”I took 2 Tums and in seconds I felt better.
Why is this important? It is important because of what I would have missed if I had BELIEVED my old limiting beliefs that I am transparent, don’t make a difference, am not seen, and do not make a difference.
Here’s what happened that evening at the event — 5 really great reason to attend!
- Met the building operations officer, saw the brand new training room, and discussed cost for doing workshops there. Prices seemed pretty fair. Love the location even though it’s at least 30 minutes from home. I began thinking about what kind of workshop I would host there.
- Sat down with a dear friend to chat … she won a door prize … nice Malbec which she said she’d not drink and gave it to me.
- Reconnected with my daughter’s childhood friend. They competed in baton from about age 6 to 18. She’s all grown up and a Ph.D.!
- Then came an announcement. Several people were dubbed ‘experts’ and my name was called.
- Then the big door prize as I sat behind the glass just the other side of the announcer. I had not won a prize yet so I put my fingers to both temples in an effort to channel being a winner, as a friend of mine calls it. INSISTING I win. <strong>And so it was.
The next time you catch yourself doing some second guessing and are working to talk yourself OUT of going somewhere you really want to be … think of me. It could not have been a more fruitful evening for so many reasons … and I would have missed a lot. [graphic at left is me doing the 'happy' flowers dance!]
©Leslie Flowers June 2012, exponential personal growth expert, helps mature women re-engineer their businesses and their lives by steeping them in living life with principles, virtues, and higher awareness. Faculty member in Mindset Mastery at the Ultimate Life Company, with Bob Proctor, you can catch her programs on mastermind excellence and expert goal setting and achievement at their site. You may read her archived voluminous personal growth teachings — Drops of Awareness — at PathsofChange.com, which house each step on her own path of change over the past 10 years. Enjoy Leslie’s BLOG.